rotating header

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lifeline



“We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go. It’s an unbreakable spiritual lifeline, reaching past all appearances right to the very presence of God . . .” (Heb 6)

This verse called to mind the image of helicopters in Switzerland. The area of the alps we visited had few roads, so the Swiss use helicopters trailing long steel cables to lift and move materials from place to place. Caleb was fascinated, and we spent time watching the ground crews attach loads and then watching the helicopters expertly lift them up and away.

Back in Bundibugyo, here we are, the ones who have run for our lives to God, needing to hold onto hope with both hands and not let go. Tomorrow is Monday, and I already know the patients will be lined up expectantly. I know I’ll feel like I’m sinking back into the quagmire. So I’m praying tomorrow that I’ll have a soul sense of the helicopter cable, an unbreakable connection to the presence of God. And I’m praying I’ll have the courage and sense to reach up and hold on, a combination of activism and resting in the rescue.

No comments: