rotating header

Monday, September 01, 2008

At the Rift Valley Academy (Kijabe, Kenya)..

Here we sit in the simple, sparse, Kijabe guesthouse, with cold Kenyan winds whipping down the escarpment, and only three kids getting ready for bed. We moved Luke into his dorm today, his siblings helping tack family photos on the wall above his top bunk, and making his bed with his new quilt, filling his drawers with clothes. Just before that we had an informal meeting with the math department head who quizzed Luke on the spot with about 10 questions on the order of "What is the sine of pi over 3?" and "What does your room look like at home?" and thereby decided he was ready for BC Calculus (no one has been quite confident of his peculiar transcripts and patchy educational background, but we are betting that Desmond, Kevin, and Sarah will be vindicated!) . . . we almost missed that appointment because the news went around that elephants had blocked the road to the school preventing students from arriving. There is this curious juxtaposition of American accents and American curriculum with the African setting, and for our kids who have been in a British-descended African curriculum in a poverty-setting for years, the changes are mostly good but still a lot to adjust to. Water fountains and a cafeteria that serves hot dogs, an air-conditioned computer lab and a carpeted library. But ambling elephants, and serious perimeter security, and the memory that this country was nearly imploding in post-election violence a few months ago. The last 48 hours have felt like weeks as we've gone through a tremendously informative and helpful "New Parent Orientation". Too much to tell . . . tonight I will mention only three things. First, that we have been overwhelmingly impressed by the quality of the school and the dedication of the staff. Every step we have sensed God's provision. At one point I felt amazed by my own arogance that I could have ever imagined that I could cobble together two more years of high school at home in Bundibugyo that would be anything comparable to the dozens of excellent teachers, administrators, counselors, coaches, dorm parents, and support staff that pour their lives into the kids here. The classes, the activities, the sports, the social connection with other missionary kids, are all invaluable. These people understand teenagers, and missionary kids, and crossing cultures, and growing up. Second, that we can look back and realize the many threads of our lives over the years that make this moment of separation more palatable. We had dinner tonight with the family of the resident dentist, who befriended us more than a decade ago when we had to evacuate and live here. After dinner Luke headed back to the dorms with the dentist's two sons, one of whom Luke had briefly attended Kindergarten with. Our guardian family is another doctor whom we became friends with while living here and have visited and vacationed with over the years. Every couple of hours we seem to run into another person with whom we have some history and connection, and as the hours accumulate I sense the wonder of the Kingdom of God in Africa, the incredible labor of all these faithful men and women. We are sometimes isolated in our small circles in Bundibugyo; coming to RVA is a blessing to all of our family as we meet (and re-meet) the saints. And thirdly, I am impressed that Luke is ready. He is a great guy, and seeing him in this setting I can see that he fits here. My confidence in him grows. All that said, no matter how right the decision and how great the offerings, the pain of separation is almost upon us. We'll touch base a couple of more times over the next 24 hours, and then on Wednesday morning we'll head back to Uganda and leave Luke here. One sympathetic "how are you doing" from the dorm mom brought me to tears today already. God's will is like that. Even when it is right and good it can hurt, as in the cross. I think that CS Lewis wrote that anyone who does not believe a good God can allow pain has not been to the dentist . . . While we believe that this step is GOOD for Luke, we grieve the loss in our own hearts, and what is even harder is to accept the inevitable pain he will bear. No matter how clean, safe, efficient, and friendly the dorm is, it is still a dorm, not a family, and for a 15 year old finding his way through adolescence, through American school, through living away from his family, all at the same time . . there will be rough days. So tonight he spends his first night in the dorm, and we spend one more day in the neighborhood, bracing for goodbyes.

14 comments:

Brad & Stacey said...

We will be praying for your goodbyes and this next season of life for all of you!

Anonymous said...

As a mother, I sit here crying as I read this bittersweet post. How EXCITING this is...a new adventure for Luke as he grows and matures into the fine young man I believe him to be. How you must feel as parents/siblings, "letting go"...I can't truly imagine. Please know that you guys are covered in prayers. Tell Luke that "friends" in TN can't wait for wonderful reports of his schooling. Sending lots of cyber hugs your way!!!

Unknown said...

I'm really happy, yet sad. I'm excited for Luke and all the possibilities he will have and eager to watch him grow. I know it will be hard for you, Scott and Jennifer, Caleb, Julia, and Jack too as you miss Luke's daily presence. I'll be praying for smooth adjustments.

KevinandJD said...

My prayer for you is that God would continue to be gentle during this time, reminding you in big and small ways how much He loves Luke and is able to provide good things for him. I was so happy to read about the connections that continue to surround you as you make this transition. We'll be praying that the goodbyes are full of tears (GOOD closure!) and that Luke's first term would be better than anyone anticipates.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,
Grant started kindergarten this week, and it was a new experience for us in a long line of "letting go"s. But it doesn't begin to compare with what your whole family is experiencing with leaving Luke at RVA. I'm sad for you all as I anticipate your goodbyes, but appreciate your words about pain and God's goodness -- so true. We love you & miss you & are praying for you...
Wendy (& the boys!)

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about Luke the past few weeks, because I just met up with a RVA classmate of mine (ashley Paulson) who is going to be teaching Chemistry and AP Chemistry first term at RVA. I told her to look out for LUke:)
I will be praying for this transition for Luke and for your family! I pray that he grows to love RVA as much as I did...especially the relationships that he builds there, to this day I have not had the same kind of bond as I did with my friends at rift.
Lydia

Cindy Nore said...

Hi Jennifer and Scott. I was so excited to read your post today and am so glad that the school sounds like a perfect place for Luke. I know leaving him there will be very emotional, and all of you are in my prayers. Luke sounds like a wonderful son and follower of Christ, and it will be exciting to see what the next few years hold for him. My mother's heart is in prayer for both of you, for Luke, and for Caleb, Julia, and Jack as you adjust to not seeing Luke as much. I pray Luke has a smooth transition, that God will surround him with friends and adults who will love him and encourage him, and that you guys would have safe travel home. It was neat to read about how God is bringing full circle some of the investments you have made in the lives of others. Thanks as always for sharing your lives and your faith with us.

Karen said...

Know that we are praying for you all today. Thanks for sharing with us. It never ceases to amaze me how peace and mourning can be so intertwined.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Luke! Sounds like you made a good choice. I'm glad you got into BC, I hope they let you in to photography 2 as well.

Anonymous said...

Praying for Luke, you, Scott, Caleb, Julia,and Jack as you all make this adjustment. We just had our second son leave for college this year, not quite the same thing, but nonetheless an adjustment for the entire family. I'm grateful for the good connections you made at the school.
Blessings! Betsy

* said...

* cheering for luke and your family.

Sarah said...

Hi Jennifer! wow i can't believe Luke is finally going to RVA! Laura and I have always hoped he would! :O) Seeing the pictures you put up made me sad; it seems so weird that I'm not there to start another term! I can totally relate to what your family must be going through. I've been an emotional roller coaster this past week as I've been transitioning to being in college and readjusting to life in America.
I hope Luke grows to love RVA as much as I did.
I'm thinking of you all, and missing you much!
love
Sarah
p.s. i'm super impressed that Luke's taking BC calc... it'll be intense, but Mr. Wagner is the one of RVA's FINEST! :O)

Anonymous said...

You all are in my prayers.
Debbie Ferguson

Ashley said...

I taught Luke AP chem this past term, and it was such a privilege... he is such a great kid! And I don't know about that bit about you feeling like an inadequate teacher...he is brilliant. I hope your time with him over vac is restful and you get plenty of time together. Blessings for your work in bundi...