rotating header

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Grammy's Appendix

We were SHOCKED to learn this morning that my mom was in the hospital, having just had her appendix removed! She was experiencing some abdominal discomfort for a little more than a day, went to get it checked out, and a CT scan and few hours' wait later she found herself being wheeled into the operating room. Thanks to my sister we found out by the time she was recovering, and were able to talk to her on the phone. As I went on rounds seeing my Bundibugyo patients an hour later, I felt the familiar frustration of being pulled into the needs of these patients and absent for the needs of my own family. But there are a few things I am very thankful for: first, the good medical care my mother received. Second, that she bravely went through the whole procedure on her own but did not feel lonely, that she can experience the peace and presence of God. Third, that our amazing church friends are faithfully and willingly picking up the role that we are unable to fill. And lastly, that we now have cellular phones, so that instead of finding out a week later that my Mom was ill, I merely had to talk my way through the hospital switchboard operator and two nursing stations to track her down right in her hospital room! Last week I called my hospitalized aunt as well. It is no substitute for being there in their hearts, but it helps ME to be able to hear their voices, standing amidst cocoa trees on the equator and chatting with them in their high-tech hospital beds in Virginia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your mother was thrilled to hear your voice as she recovered.
Debbie

harryk said...

Jennifer & Scott,
We certainly will be praying for Judy's quick recovery and isn't it fantastic to see what comfort and help her church family can be? God makes new family members of His blessed redeemed ones and the ties they form can exceed the ties of biological family (especially when some are under His grace and others are not). But how incredibly close are families like yours that are connected both by the Lord and by heredity! Of course you would like to be here but I wouldn't be surprised if, in a way, your mom prefers that you be in Uganda rather than at her bedside. She knows that our Father has work for you to do there.
Harry

"And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake and the gospel's. But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions, and in the world to come eternal life. (Mark 10:29-30)

"…neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity; for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off." (Proverbs 27:10b)