Click to see the destruction HERE
Last night, Kijabe received more that 5 inches of rain overnight. 26 inches of rain in the past month.
Add in the ongoing deforestation of the Kijabe Forest above RVA and the result was a severe MUDSLIDE.
The pictures tell the story.
The physical destruction of property will reverberate for some time...
- Severe erosion and mudslides seem to have made the road up to the main highway both impassable and possibly irreparable. Many, many patients and hospital employees access the hospital via this road. They will be inconvenienced and it may have considerable impact on the health of many people.
- Water supply pipes to the Kijabe Hospital have been destroyed. This will severely impact the functioning of the hospital almost immediately.
- RVA fences have been destroyed.
- Kijabe Boys School (a senior secondary school) experienced serious damage.
- Many homes and business have had significant damage.
- This will seriously impact the travel of those coming for the funeral of Martha Pontier, AIM missionary who will be buried tomorrow.
There are some things for which to be thankful:
- Miraculously, RVA signed their FLOOD INSURANCE CONTRACT LAST WEEK!
- NO ONE DIED OR WAS INJURED IN KIJABE
(N.B. - the Kenya newspaper The Daily Nation reported that 3 girls were killed in Kiambu County, but that did not happen in the immediate vicinity of Kijabe. The news story is HERE ).
Let us pray for those responsible for those responsible for reconstruction and clean-up.