rotating header

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas in Disguise

Christmas Eve at 6:30 am I was awakened by a 999 stat code page to ICU, where Gift had stopped breathing.  When I arrived he still had a thready rapid pulse, but that soon stopped.  He was essentially dead, and I wanted to cry, but instead did CPR and called for help.  We got him back, and he spent the day intubated on a machine for life support.  In retrospect he probably had respiratory depression from his post-op pain meds and is so marginal and slightly dehydrated that he went down fast.  He improved through the day, and Christmas morning I happily pulled out his tube.


This child is a miracle baby, and Christmas is a fight, and I am battle weary. I thought we had lost him, but over Christmas and Boxing day he opened his eyes, moved, cried.  We started feeding him.  I rejoiced.

Then this morning he had respiratory distress and got intubated by Erik again.

Here is a CS Lewis quote shared by George Mixon:

“The universe is at war, but not between two independent powers.  It was all created good by God, and went wrong.  It is a CIVIL war, a rebellion. We are living in a part of the universe occupied by the rebel. . . Enemy-occupied territory – that is what this world is. Christianity is the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us all to take part in a great campaign of sabotage. . . Why is God landing in this enemy-occupied world in disguise and starting a sort of secret society to undermine the devil? Why is He not landing in force, invading it?  Is it that He is not strong enough?  Well, Christians think He is going to land in force; we do not know when. But we can guess why He is delaying. He wants to give us the chance of joining His side freely. . . [before He comes] without disguise. . . . It will be too late then to choose your side."

Christmas:  victory in disguise, the King lands as a vulnerable infant, and that is why Gift can be healed and live.  But not without a struggle.  So please keep praying for him.  After a very intense week of nonstop work and entertaining . . we are walking out the door in a few minutes to do a 5-day family camping trip.  But my heart is in the ICU and I really hope that prayers for Gift continue, and I find him turning the corner to life when I get back.

Meanwhile check the post below for our annual prayer/Christmas letter, and here are a few photos of the day until Scott has time to post his good ones. We had church and carols and a cinnamon pastry and a few presents and all the interns and a "motherless" family (because of travel) over for dinner, and lots of joy together.











We'll be off-line this week.  Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

tscarlet said...

"You will yet, amidst the splendors of eternity, forget the trials of time or only remember them to bless the God who led you through them and works your lasting good by them." (Spurgeon)

I don't know you personally, Jennifer, but through reading your blog I have been blessed and challenged. I can only imagine the weight of this perpetual balancing act that is literally life and death...and I can see how heavy it is for you.

I suppose that now you are on your family camping trip, and I will be praying in the coming days for a refreshing reminder of the not only powerful but CAPABLE hands of The Great Physician, not just to heal each of these fragile lives, but also to hold you up for each step you take in your care for them. I will be praying that you experience this tangibly, and that His strength will truly be all your fuel.

Blessings to you and your family.

tscarlet said...

"You will yet, amidst the splendors of eternity, forget the trials of time or only remember them to bless the God who led you through them and works your lasting good by them." (Spurgeon)

I don't know you personally, Jennifer, but through reading your blog I have been blessed and challenged. I can only imagine the weight of this perpetual balancing act that is literally life and death...and I can see how heavy it is for you.

I suppose that now you are on your family camping trip, and I will be praying in the coming days for a refreshing reminder of the not only powerful but CAPABLE hands of The Great Physician, not just to heal each of these fragile lives, but also to hold you up for each step you take in your care for them. I will be praying that you experience this tangibly, and that His strength will truly be all your fuel.

Blessings to you and your family.